Breaking News

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Shamed As House Of Reps Committee Walks Her Out Of Meeting

 

Representatives Committee on Finance, on Thursday, walked out the Coordinating Minister of Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, from its meeting it called over the state of the economy of the country from January till date.
The minister, alongside the Accountant-General of the Federation, Mr Jonah Ogunniyi Otunla, had appeared before the committee, chaired by Honourable Abdulmumin Jibrin, but trouble started when she told the committee that she was not feeling fine and that she honoured the invitation out of respect.
I must tell you that I’m feeling sick. For the past one week, I’ve not had sleep, so I’m not feeling fine. But I had to come because I respect the parliament and the committee. I’ll try my best to respond to your questions as much as possible, and my other colleagues who are also here with me will contribute,” she said.
Following her explanations, Honourable Jibrin, in consultation with other members of the committee, ruled
that they could not take on the minister but that they would give her “the 50 questions” for which she must respond to in writing.
Trouble, however, started when the minister insisted that she should be allowed to respond to the questions, saying “since I’m here now, I want to respond to the questions in person.”
The chairman insisted that he had ruled and there was no going back on the matter, insisting that the minister should provide written answers within two weeks and appear before the committee in January but the minieter was still adamant, asking them to hear her out.
When the situation became tensed, Honourable Jibrin walked out Okonjo-Iweala, saying “you know I have ruled and if you don’t mind, please excuse us. Members should stay behind for executive meeting. We don’t want any haphazard answers, so you can go honourable minister.”
Okonjo-Iweala, who was not happy with the situation, said “I have uttermost respect for the committee and expect same from you. I’m a minister of the Federal Republic. When you invite ministers, you should treat them with respect. We can’t be invited and be abused.”
READ MORE:  http://news.naij.com/54748.html

TELL YOUR FRIENDS