Breaking News

“The kind of movies I like to watch are not yet in Nigeria” - Tinsel sweetheart, Linda Ejiofor in New Interview


Linda Ejiofor was plucked from relative obscurity when she auditioned and won a role playing Bimpe on Nigeria’s longest running soap, Tinsel. She made her big screen debut in grand style in the 2012 Rita Dominic produced, award winning film The Meeting and has remained busy chalking up the credits in films like The Secret room, Dowry and the upcoming Knocking on heaven’s door.
We spoke with her and got her to share details on her journey into acting, future plans and taste in movies.
Enjoy excerpts:

What was growing up like for you?
Growing up was fun. I played a lot when I was little and got beat up for it. My mum would always warn us not to go outside to play but kids will always be kids. I remember whenever we disobeyed my mum and she caught us playing, we would run upstairs thinking she did not see us but as soon as we heard our full names called- from my elder brother to my little sister- then we knew we were in big trouble. I also remember all
the folk stories my dad told us and the songs we had to learn, I miss that a lot. I don’t think parents do that anymore right?

Share your family background with us
I am from Abia state, both of my parents are from Abia. I have 4 siblings; 2 brothers and 2 sisters.

What about school?
I attended Ilabor Memorial Nursery and Primary school in Surulere after which I went to FGGC Onitsha, then gained admission into the University of Port Harcourt and graduated from the department of Sociology.

What is the Tinsel set really like?
The normal day on set starts at 6am. I have breakfast, get hair and makeup done, get on set, run my lines with my colleagues, play pranks. Basically it is fun especially when we shoot on time and the actors have all their lines.

How did you get involved with The meeting?
I was just playing  around when I got this call from Mildred Okwo who told me she just saw me on Tinsel and she had a script she wanted me to read. She asked me to get back at her if I am interested. I agreed and she sent it to me. I read it and got back to her immediately and this led to a meeting and a reading. She liked it and about  2am the next morning, Rita Dominic called me to offer me the role. I was screaming out of my mind.

Why do you think she chose you among so many other actors?
Mildred Okwo keeps saying that apart from the fact that I looked like what she wanted, she was impressed because I was serious and got back to her immediately. She told me how she doesn’t like when she sends out scripts and actors take their time to call her.

So you are saying when aunty Mildred calls, you leave whatever you are doing and answer
Dude, it was my first movie so I was really looking forward to it because for like 3 or 4 years, Tinsel was the only thing I was doing. So yes, it was an honor and when someone like her calls, if you need It you better run.

Where you surprised by everything that came out of The Meeting for you?
I was. I used to sit back and beat myself up, concluding that I did not give 100 per cent to this character but from the reception I got , I started to think that maybe I really did put in good work.

Have you considered doing stage work?
Yes I have but nothing has landed on my lap yet. The only stage I can remember doing was during my diploma days in Ibadan.

Your break came on Tinsel which is about the biggest thing on television, then you moved on to a huge project like The Meeting. What is it about you that attracts these top quality gigs?
I will just give you a simple answer and say that I am blessed.

You and Femi Jacobs were quite the couple on The Meeting. He was also on Tinsel wasn’t he? Did that help out in any way?
During the reading, Mildred was always looking for actors that had chemistry so it was important to her. Yes he had worked on Tinsel but our paths had never crossed and we had never shot any scenes together prior to The Meeting.

What are your other interests?
Apart from acting, hosting, modelling. Eventually I will produce and maybe direct my own stuff.

What kind of films are you drawn to as an actor?
The kinds of films I like to watch aren’t yet shot in Nigeria. I like fantasy and adventure movies; LOTR, Game of Thrones, Prince of Persia type of films. so unless we shoot the fantasy version of Sango here, then I would be interested. I love scary movies, thrillers, hence my attraction to The secret room.

Who are the actors you like to watch?
I have always looked up to Rita Dominic even before I met her, she is my big sister. I also adore Joke Silva, Taiwo Ajai-Lycett. I love Ireti Doyle to bits, her acting is amazing, Carol King, Genevieve Nnaji, Dakore Akande. For the males, I love Majid Michel.

What is your take on Nollywood, are you impressed with what you have seen so far?
I am. We have stepped up big time. The directing, storytelling, camera, lighting, we have improved a lot.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS