Breaking News

I Bought 2 Vehicles With N1m Kidnap Ransom — Suspect


A kidnap suspect has confessed to the police that his first participation in kidnap operation fetched him N1 million which he used to buy two vehicles, a bus and a sport utility vehicle, SUV.
However, during his second attempt, the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, of the Lagos State Police Command arrested the suspected kidnap kingpin, Victor Sunday, 34, alongside his wife, Mrs. Eno Joseph,  Etebong Udoh and a 27-year old commercial cyclist known as okada rider, whose name was yet to be ascertained.
According to SARS sources, Sunday with his gang members allegedly  abducted a man, (name withheld) and locked him inside his residence at 42, Lambe Matogun Road, Oke Aro, Ogun State, Southwest Nigeria.
However, luck ran out on the kidnap gang when their victim, who was chained on his legs, managed to
escape.
The victim sustained serious injuries on his legs and he is presently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital.
P.M.NEW learnt that the victim reported his ordeal to SARS operatives and Sunday and his wife, Eno, were arrested at their residence. Their arrest led to the arrest of the third suspect, Udoh and the okada rider whose motorbike was hired for the operation.
The four suspects are being detained at SARS office in Ikeja and undergoing interrogation.
Lagos State Commission of Police, Umar Manko, confirmed that their victim was abducted at Okota area of Isolo, Lagos and the suspects demanded a N50 million ransom which the victim could not afford.
But  after the victim managed to escape and reported  the kidnap to the police, the suspected kidnappers were arrested and would be charged to court at the completion of police investigation, the police boss added.
In his confessional statement, the gang leader said his first operation was with a gang  which he helped to  kidnap one of the directors in his former workplace on Victoria Island, Lagos.
“From that first kidnap operation, our gang collected N13 million ransom and I was given only N1 million. With my share, I bought a bus and a SUV.
“A friend, Edong Ekem, who asked me for N500 reported me to the police. He knew I had no job, he then wondered how I managed to buy two vehicles. I knew he reported me to the police because I did not give him N500 he asked from me,” Victor narrated.
He added that after his arrest, he was arraigned in court but his lawyer filed an application for bail and after about one year in detention at Ikoyi Prison, he was granted bail.
He continued: “When I came out of prison, I had no job. I thought of leading my own kidnap gang. I then relocated from my residence in Oshodi to Matogun.”
He said their victim was spotted in his car at Okota. They trailed him to his residence. With two locally made pistols, Sunday said they abducted and moved him to his house.
“The man was able to escape when we slept off. He contacted the police and I and my wife were arrested in our house while others were arrested in different parts of Lagos.”
Victor’s wife, Eno said when she met her husband in 2006, he was not a kidnapper. But because he had problems with his job, he joined a kidnap gang.
She claimed that she encouraged him to get out of the kidnap business but consented after he was first arrested and returned home with no means of livelihood.
The third suspect, Udoh, confessed that he was an okada rider who joined the gang last year. He claimed the operation was the second he participated with the gang before their arrest.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

No comments