Breaking News

Uganda's 'Supernatural Girl' wants P’Square, 2face


Top Ugandan singer, Angela Katatumba, yearns for a taste of the Nigerian entertainment industry, reports AKEEM LASISI
If it is only one foreign artiste that desires a stake in the Nigerian entertainment industry, it is Ugandan singer, Angela Katatumba. A leading musician and humanitarian worker in the East African country, she is currently working on her third album which she calls Supernatural Girl, whose title track was released last year.  Despite the fact that she is respected in her country – onshore and online, especially on Facebook where she pulls a large following – her heart is on the Nigeria’s entertainment arena.
She recently expressed her admiration for Nigerian artistes  in an interview with On Air Personality at the Eko 89.7FM, Ayodele Olowo-Ake (Dfaizer), who was in Uganda for a programme. For one, Angela has a lot of kind words for Nollywood and other components of the Nigerian film industry.
She tells Nigerian film makers, “AlI I want to say is, ‘Thank you so much for setting the trend in the world, for displaying Africanism to Africans and people out there who think Africa isn’t cool. Oh, I love Nigerian
movies a lot. I have loved them just before the music, the music just came yesterday.
“They have put the African culture up there. They have marketed Africa well. I love Nigerians for that because they haven’t changed. They haven’t said, ‘Let’s be westerners; let’s be fake; let’s copy ABCD’. Rather, they said, ‘This is who we are; you gotta take it or leave it.’ Thank you so much for that.”
Like many other African musicians, Angela says she makes much of her money from shows and not from album sale. Indeed, she laments that there are no well-structured record labels in Uganda, which makes the job of distribution more tasking as she has to be personally involved. Peeping at Nigeria from afar, therefore, the ‘supernatural girl’ believes the Giant of Africa is the next place she wants to explore. And, guess what, she wants to collaborate with the top acts.
She says, “I would love to come for shows and meet P-Square and Tuface. I would love to do a collabo with P-Square. Yeah P-Square,  but I don’t know how it’s going to happen: Angela Katatumba featuring P-Square, it’s happening! P-Square! They were here in Uganda, but I think I was abroad. I love the way they are bringing Africa’s music on the world stage. I’m in love with these boys. I love their music and I love the fact that they’re original. Oh, my God!”
Born in Nairobi,  Kenya, she had her primary education at the Katatumba Academy, a family school. She later attended high school in Canada after which she moved to Oxford Brooks University in England,  where she  obtained degrees in Law and Economics. She later bagged a Master’s Degree in International Management.  Her father, Dr. Bonny Katatumba, is the Consul of the Republic of Pakistan in Uganda,  while her mum is a Ugandan who owns a beauty clinic in Kabalagala.
Although her talent was eventually honed in Canada, Angela says she has always loved to sing since she was a little girl. She loved listening to and mimicking the likes of Whitney Houston and Tony Braxton. She later joined the school choir where she was ironically kicked out because the leadership could not tame her creative exuberance then.
She recalls, “At the time my voice was everywhere. It was too loud. It was too strong. One minute I was singing out, the other minute I was on tenor. Sometimes I was in bass and the teacher was like, ‘Is that Angie everywhere? I have given you enough warnings, out!’ Our teacher was that hard.
“But when I went to Canada and joined the school, I did some talent shows there and won all of them and my daddy was like, ‘It seems she has some talent.’ He paid $40 an hour for me to go for some training only to find out that I am supposed to be a soloist.  I am supposed to be leading the choir because I had such a huge range. So, in Uganda they didn’t know how to handle it and they kicked me out.  They nurtured it in Canada, from there I moved on to start singing professionally in England.”
Angela notes that the idea of Supernatural Girl is meant to reveal the religious aspect of her life and some personal stories she is just sharing – including a failed and traumatic marriage she had in Chicago.
In the course of her career, she, in her Gulu Project,  mobilised humanitarian support for Northern Uganda during the 21-year war it fought. She has also been part of enlightenment campaigns on the impact of climate change, especially in Africa, where she believes awareness about it is dangerously low.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS