Breaking News

Woman Loses Her Eye After Fungus 'Caused By Contact Lenses' Eats It Away

Infection: Jacqui Stone, 42 spent 17 weeks in hospital after wearing her contact lenses for one day
 
A mother-of-two has lost one of her eyes after her eye was eaten away by a fungus she believes was caused by her contact lens.

Jacqui Stone, 42, from Braintree in Essex, had to endure 22 operations and more than 17 weeks in hospital after wearing a popular brand of disposal contact lens for just one day.

Jacqui tells her story:
‘I’ve worn contact lenses on and off for 20 years and have never had a problem.
‘I am one of those people who doesn’t take risks - I know I washed my hands when I put them in.
‘Everything seemed normal in the morning when I put them in.
It wasn’t until I got home at 5pm that I thought “these feel awful” and had to take them out.
‘I threw them away as they were disposables and didn’t think anymore about it at the time.
‘But the next day I had very blurred vision out of my left eye.
‘At the time I thought it was painful but the pain just got worse and worse.’
Mrs Stone was rushed to Broomfield Hospital A&E in Chelmsford, Essex, two days later after the pain became unbearable.
Despite her condition, she was sent home with eye drops the same day but was back less than 24 hours later after suffering excruciating pain.
She added: ‘I was screaming in pain and my teeth were chattering - it was unbearable.
‘They told me they had given me enough morphine for a broken leg but the drugs didn’t touch it.’

Doctors were eventually forced to remove her left eye fearing the rare but aggressive fungal infection would penetrate her optic nerve and enter her brain.

DailyMail

TELL YOUR FRIENDS